Friday, June 26, 2009

Why I am mean

I am a mean, mean person. And not only that, I'm also a mean crocheter. Let me 'splain.

A bunch of the ladies from my local stitch n' bitch group thought it would be fun to do a non-traveling scarf project. If you're a member of Ravelry you might be familiar with this concept: A limited number of people sign up for the group and they each start the first few inches of a scarf. They document what needle/hook they used, what yarn, what stitch, etc. and they also write down their preferences for their personal scarf (which they were kind enough to start for everyone). It all gets zipped up in a big plastic bag and mailed on to the next person, who adds another few inches, and so on and so forth until it's gone through the entire group and comes back to you.

Or, to save on postage, we thought we'd do our own traveling scarf - except we'll just pass ours off at stitch n' bitch meets instead of entrusting them to the postal service.

So why am I mean? Well, I can't actually wear most animal fibers (unless they've been felted), so I'm asking everyone please to use natural plant fiber or very soft acrylic. That's not very mean, you say. No, it isn't.

Here's the kicker: the yarn must be lace- or fingering weight. Because the entire scarf is to be made of LACE. The ladies is my group are almost exclusively knitters. Do you know how much harder it is for knitters to do lace? And I started them out with a nice little crochet lace motif - and some poor soul is going to have to cast on to it! The thought sends me into spastic, evil giggles. he he heeee...

And now you know why I am mean.

3 comments:

  1. That is just down right dasterdly!

    I would revolt on you for doing that if I were in that group. You'd get a few good inches of nice thick, heavy some-kritter fiber, and I'd make it an aweful color to boot just for fun! :P

    But, I am not, so I guess that's that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. chartreuse wool from the 70s - eeewwwww! lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I like chartreuse though!

    ReplyDelete